Have you been thinking about straightening your teeth? Not happy about your smile, but don't know if braces are right for you? Are you finding it hard to keep your teeth and gums clean? Feel you're too old for braces? You're not! Braces can benefit adults, as well as teenagers. Dr. Lowry will carefully diagnose and discuss a treatment plan with you to determine if braces are the best option for you.
Things to consider for adult braces:
- Your gums and bone support must be healthy.
- Treatment time may take longer for an adult as opposed to a growing child. The bone support for an adult is firmer than that of a growing child, making it more resistant to tooth movement. Therefore, tooth movement will occur more slowly allowing your mouth to heal between tightening appointments.
- Possible jaw surgery/and or tooth extractions may be involved
- Dr. Lowry will determine and discuss which is right for you: Braces vs Invisalign
- Options include having clear and/or metal braces or Invisalign. Dr. Lowry will explain which option will be best for you.
- There is no age limit! Orthodontics is not only for teenagers!
Advantages of having straight teeth:
- Straight teeth are easier to keep clean, which can help prevent tooth decay or early tooth loss.
- Straight teeth prevent further abnormal wear on your teeth that can lead to stress on supporting bones and gums. This stress may lead to gum disease. Also related to abnormal alignment is jaw joint problems, and speaking, biting, or chewing problems.
- Straight teeth can certainly leave you feeling better about your appearance. Having a healthier smile can lead to higher confidence levels.